Shane and I were running an agile (Agile?) training course last week and we were discussing the idea of social contracts with the participants.
A social contract is an agreed code of conduct or way or working. Some teams publish them on posters and others simply thrash them out over a few beers.
We thought we would include a slide showing social contracts and would use the world’s elite trainers (ie us) as a high profile example.
What would you think of something like this appearing on a slide for the participants to ponder/comment on?
Social contract for Knowledge Engineers:
- We will use our individual styles to present a consistent content. If we don’t like the current content then we will openly debate with our peers with the aim of creating the best shared view of each topic that we can.
- We will always ask for help and guidance from each other and we will always provide help and advice when asked, even though our arrogant peers may ignore our sage like wisdom because they do not fully recognise our innate genius.
- We will give each other open and useful feedback whenever we see each other facitilate.
- We will openly steal each other’s ideas when running courses, but never each other’s jokes.
- We will always acknowledge the source and author of material we include in our courses.